Pages

Saturday, August 4, 2007

Throwback Track: Wyclef Jean - Gone till November



I must've been 13-14 when I first saw this song on MTV jams. I loved the Fugees so of course any song that came from one of the members had to be worth a listen. He's accompanied by the New York Philharmonic Orchestra (not sure if this is the same one used in the video) in the song and features Bob Dylan in the music video, this was the fourth single off his first solo album The Carnival.
The song has sentimental value for me...the theme of being away from loved ones for long periods of time while you're on your "hustle" reminds me of my own situation. Being away from my Other, my families in Auckland and Port Moresby and not being able to see them till the end of year break in November. The other reason I love this song is the soulful melody and catchy chorus.
My other personal favourites by him have to be Guantanamera ft Celia Cruz & Lauryn Hill (off the Carnival 1997), 911 ft Mary J Blige & Perfect Gentleman (off The Eceftic: 2 sides II a Book) and Two wrongs ft Claudette Ortiz. I'm tempted to post those vids up as well but I'll save that for an Artist Spotlight post.

No comments:

Post a Comment